top of page

What Paperwork Do I Need To Apply For A Mortgage?

When applying for a mortgage in the UK, you’ll need to provide a few different pieces of paperwork.

a large stack of paperwork sitting on a desk

We’ve compiled a list of the documents you are going to need so you don’t have to scramble around looking through your bins an hour before meeting with a broker!

Proof of Identification

A lender will need to have proof of who you are before they can give you a mortgage. Here are some of the documents you will need to provide.

You will need 2 documents to prove your address to a lender. Make sure everything on your documents is spelt consistently to avoid confusion.

  • Photo ID - Passport or Driving License – Your photo ID should have your current address on it, and you must ensure it hasn’t expired or it won’t be eligible.

  • Proof of Address, e.g. a Utility Bill – Provide documents within the last 3 months or Council Tax Bill – your latest statement would be great.

  • Bank statements – you will need to provide bank statements dated within the last 4 months. The lender will need to see your full statements and could ask questions about purchases, so prepare yourself to answer any awkward questions (questions such as “why are you spending so much on gambling, bingo or only fans?”).

  • Credit Card statements – Both of these can also be used for proof of address.

Proof of Income

A lender will need to know what you are currently earning so they know what you can actually afford. There are different documents you will need depending on what type of employment you are in.

PAYE Employment

Payslips – These should be the last 3 months (or 13 weeks if you are paid weekly) and should include your name, employer's name, payment date, net pay, and gross pay.

If your pay varies from month to month you’ll likely need your latest P60 also.


SA302s and Tax year overviews – You can find these documents on the HMRC website here (

Ideally, we’ll need the last 2 – 3 years.

Company Director (owns a share of the company)

As a company director you’ll likely receive pay and dividends which are paid from profits made by the limited company.

Lenders will usually want to see what’s going on within that company to make sure that the dividends taken are sustainable and the business is in a good place.

This means that lenders will usually want to be the last 2-3 years of company books/accounts and also your personal Tax Calculation/SA302s and Tax year overviews. Ideally, we’ll need the last 2 – 3 years.

If you have additional sources of income, you may also need to provide any of these:

  • Most recent HMRC Letter

  • Pension payslip

  • Letter from local authority

  • Most recent Department of Work and Pensions letter

a dark cartoon city skyline

Proof of Expenses

A lender will need good knowledge about the money going out of your account, as well as going in. They need to know that you are reliable and will be able to pay the mortgage loan back without any difficulties.


The lender will want to check your affordability as well as making sure there is no fraud or fraudulent behaviour to properly assess your case.

Making sure you’ve got everything ready will mean that the broker can let you know of any issues and potential solutions to them.

Check that everything is in order, make sure names and dates are correct and that everything is up to date. Getting the documents together will be the only thing you’ll need to do, your broker will do the rest!

We hope you now have a much better understanding of what documents you’ll need to apply for a mortgage, and if you are still confused, give us a call, we’d be more than happy to walk you through everything you need.


Approved by The Openwork Partnership on 18/04/23



Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page